We’re committed to protecting your privacy.
CarShare Vermont appreciates and values the trust our members place in us. We are committed to protecting our members’ private, personal information. We strive to communicate clearly what information we collect, the reasons for collecting personal member information, and the ways that the confidentiality of this information is protected.
CarShare Vermont is an independent non-profit organization, and member information is not automatically shared with other organizations with which we are affiliated. Members (and potential members) can always choose not to provide CarShare Vermont with some or all personal information; however, this decision may prevent CarShare Vermont from determining membership eligibility and the ability to provide members with full access to available or requested services. We will not collect your personal information without your consent.
Reasons for collecting personal information
CarShare Vermont collects personal information so that we can:
- Determine membership eligibility;
- Communicate with members about their participation in the carsharing program, including but not limited to follow-up about vehicle bookings and usage, invoices, newsletters, organizational announcements, etc.;
- Improve our services through member surveys and consultation conducted directly by CarShare Vermont or by approved third parties;
- Ensure members are using vehicles in an appropriate manner;
- Ensure CarShare Vermont’s vehicle use policies are followed by members; and
- Comply with legal and insurance requirements.
Information about members that we collect
As part of member participation in the carsharing program, CarShare Vermont collects a variety of information about its members. Typically, such information includes, but is not limited to:
- Contact information including your name, home address, telephone number, and email address, and the name and contact information of your emergency contact person;
- Information pertaining to member eligibility, including birth date and age, driver’s license information, driving records, and auto insurance information;
- Information pertaining to eligibility for MobilityShare membership, including verification of income;
- Payment information, a record of your payments, encrypted credit or debit card information, or other information that you provide so that we can collect payment;
- Vehicle usage information, including timestamps of accessing and locking vehicles, distances driven, driving speeds and current and historical vehicle locations;
- Membership history at CarShare Vermont;
- Employer, school, or other affiliations (such as updated information pertaining to your relationship to those businesses or organizations);
- Publicly available information.
How we collect information
CarShare Vermont primarily collects personal information directly from the member through application forms, surveys, member-initiated communications, or information that a member directly requests a third party to send to CarShare Vermont. If we are communicating with a member by telephone, email or any form of electronic communication, we may record such communication for quality assurance purposes or for any of the purposes listed above under “Reasons for Collecting Personal Information.” In-vehicle carsharing technology systems will provide information on vehicle usage including but not limited to driving speeds and locations. In appropriate circumstances, we obtain information from third-party sources—for example, affiliated carshare organizations whose members want to become roaming members with CarShare Vermont. Driving records may be obtained from third party sources such as insurers, as appropriate.
Our use of your personal information
We treat personal information with respect for privacy. Except as disclosed in the CarShare Vermont Member Application and Member Agreements and/or as necessary to conduct ordinary business operations, or as specified below, CarShare Vermont will not disclose any member’s personal information (such as but not limited to name, physical and e-mail addresses, telephone numbers, driver’s license number, birth date, social security number, bank and credit card account numbers) without the prior permission of the member.
Our Employees’ Responsibilities: Each of our employees is responsible for maintaining the confidentiality of all personal information to which they have access. We keep our employees informed about our policies and procedures for protecting personal information, and each employee is bound by confidentiality policies outlined in CarShare Vermont’s Employee Handbook. In the course of administering service through CarShare Vermont, we may disclose information to other entities. The law permits us to disclose any or all information we have collected about members to entities that perform services on our behalf and to organizations with which we are affiliated. Before disclosing member information to these organizations, we require that they keep it confidential and use it only for the transactions we request.
We may also disclose any or all information in connection with contemplated or ongoing legal or administrative proceedings, a subpoena, court or administrative order, or matters involving threat of imminent harm to you or others or property, or when otherwise required by law to disclose information. In the aforementioned cases, we:
- Seek to limit the scope of the disclosure to that which is reasonably required to fulfill the purpose of the disclosure;
- Seek to restrict such disclosures only to appropriate authorities;
- Undertake reasonable efforts to notify you as far in advance as reasonably possible of such a disclosure (or a request for disclosure), unless: instructed otherwise by a court or other authority with appropriate jurisdiction, or the disclosure is in connection with a criminal investigation or proceeding.
CarShare Vermont may also release information to your employer if your participation in the carsharing program is coordinated, sponsored, or funded by your employer and disclosure is needed to comply with the employer’s request for information.
Protecting your personal information from unauthorized access
In CarShare Vermont’s operations, we limit access to member information to those workers who have a legitimate business reason for such access. We maintain physical, electronic, and procedural safeguards to protect personal information from access by unauthorized persons.
CarShare Vermont does not accept or transmit credit card data by email.
Aggregate and anonymous membership information
CarShare Vermont may, without seeking any member’s prior permission, share aggregate or anonymous membership, vehicle usage, or voluntarily-provided demographic information for the purpose of facilitating research intended to promote the public good, or to seek funding for our services.
Updated July 1, 2019, subject to change without notice.
Acknowledgement and acceptance of terms
This Privacy Statement sets forth our current privacy practices with regard to the information we collect when you or your computer interact with our website. By accessing www.carsharevt.org, you acknowledge and fully understand the CarShare VT Privacy Statement and freely consent to the information collection and use practices described in this Website Privacy Statement.
Information we collect and how we use it
CarShare Vermont collects certain information from and about its users three ways: directly from our Web Server logs, the user, and with Cookies.
Web server logs
When you visit our Website, we may track information to administer the site and analyze its usage. Examples of information we may track include:
- Your Internet protocol address.
- The kind of browser or computer you use.
- Number of links you click within the site.
- State or country from which you accessed the site.
- Date and time of your visit.
- Name of your Internet service provider.
- Web page you linked to our site from.
- Pages you viewed on the site.
One of the primary purposes of cookies is to provide a convenience feature to save you time. For example, if you personalize a web page, or navigate within a site, a cookie helps the site to recall your specific information on subsequent visits. Hence, this simplifies the process of delivering relevant content and eases site navigation by providing and saving your preferences and login information as well as providing personalized functionality.
CarShare Vermont reserves the right to share aggregated site statistics with partner companies, but does not allow other companies to place cookies on our website unless there is a temporary, overriding customer value (such as merging into www.carsharevt.org a site that relies on third-party cookies).
You have the ability to accept or decline cookies. Most Web browsers automatically accept cookies, but you can usually modify your browser setting to decline cookies. If you reject cookies by changing your browser settings then be aware that this may disable some of the functionality on our Website.
Personal information uses
Visitors to our website can register to purchase merchandise. When you register, we will request some personal information such as name, address, email, telephone number or facsimile number, account number and other relevant information. If you are purchasing merchandise, we will request financial information. Any financial information we collect is used only to bill you for the merchandise you purchased. If you purchase by credit card, this information may be forwarded to your credit card provider. For other types of registrations, we will ask for the relevant information. You may also be asked to disclose personal information to us so that we can provide assistance and information to you. For example, such data may be warranted in order to provide online technical support and troubleshooting.
We will not disclose personally identifiable information we collect from you to third parties without your permission except to the extent necessary including:
- To fulfill your requests for merchandise;
- To protect ourselves from liability;
- To respond to legal process or comply with law; or
- In connection with a merger, acquisition, or liquidation of the company.
Changes to this statement
CarShare Vermont has the discretion to occasionally update this privacy statement. When we do, we will also revise the “updated” date at the top of this Privacy page. We encourage you to periodically review this privacy statement to stay informed about how we are helping to protect the personal information we collect. Your continued use of the service constitutes your agreement to this privacy statement and any updates.
CarShare Vermont maintains its website as a service to the Internet community. Access to and use of www.carsharevt.org is subject to the terms and conditions set forth herein and all applicable laws. We may revise these terms and conditions from time to time by updating this posting.
This site and all of its contents including, but not limited to, all text and images (“content”) are owned and copyrighted by CarShare Vermont or others with all rights reserved unless otherwise noted. The content, without the express written permission of CarShare Vermont or the rightful owner, may not be distributed, downloaded, modified, edited, reused, reproduced, transmitted, performed, displayed or otherwise used by any mechanical or electronic means, except as provided herein.
Any content that is a trademark, logo, or service mark is also a registered and/or unregistered trademark of CarShare Vermont or others.
If you have questions regarding our Privacy Statement, its implementation, failure to adhere to this Privacy Statement and/or our general practices, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or send your comments to us. We will use commercially reasonable efforts to promptly respond and resolve any problem or question.