Enter our A to B Story Contest and Win Big!

We want to know how you get from point A to point B! Tell your multimodal story through words, pictures, or artwork (songs and Haiku welcome) and you’ll be entered to win an epic transportation prize. The only requirement is that, in the spirit of multimodal transportation, your entry must include at least two ways you combine to get around. Anyone can enter (CarShare Vermont member or not) and any story is a good one.

The Grand Prize includes $200 in CarShare Vermont credits, a one-month unlimited local bus pass from CCTA and a bike tune-up from our friends at the Skirack. Several runner-up prizes will be awarded as well. Winners will be announced in our December issue of the Honk & Wave.

To enter your story, email us or post to our Facebook page.

Below is our first contest entry, submitted by CarShare Vermont member and multimodal traveler, Ross Nizlek. Thanks, Ross!

The Fun and Freedom of Living Without a Car

It was always an evening to be enjoyed: I’d leave the office, jump on a Link bus to Waterbury with a few friends, and head to the Alchemist. After a delicious meal and a few pints of superb beer, we’d gather our belongings and stroll across the street to the train station, where Amtrak’s Vermonter would whisk us to Essex Junction. From there, we would grab a bus back to Burlington. Sure, we could have piled into a car and driven down to exit 10, but what fun would that have been? Ask anyone who ever went with us: it was about the train as much as it was about the meal.

Though my trips to the Alchemist are on a hiatus as they – and Waterbury – rebuild after Irene, alternative transportation is a treasured part of my life. I’d have never happened upon fun ideas like going to Waterbury by bus and train if I owned a car. It would never have occurred to me to make the trip by any other mode than driving.

Back when I was in college, an older friend assured me that “once you start living off campus, you’ll find you’ll need a car.” I never did. Between my bike and the bus, I managed to do just about everything I needed, though occasionally I’d need to borrow a car from a friend. That soon changed when, just as I was graduating, CarShare Vermont opened its doors. CarShare Vermont cars have been an invaluable mode of transportation ever since. When I needed to move a kayak for a friend, I just folded down the seats of Ramona and off I and the kayak went (there was no Tammy back then!). And when I had to get my wisdom teeth removed, I drove right to the dentist’s office. Help a friend move?  Check. Road trip to Ikea to furnish my place? Check. Pick up a friend at the train station? No problem! CarShare Vermont is there for the 10% of the time when I really want a car, so I can have the freedom of being without one for the other 90%.

Multimodal transportation is about having the right tool for the job; it’s about having the right mode for the trip. I bike to work most days for the fun and exercise. Other days, I prefer to take the bus. It’s the freedom to bike when you want, take the bus when you want, walk when you want, and be able to grab a car when you need – or want – to drive. And having transportation options is a lot more fun and convenient than having a car parked in my driveway year-round ever would be.